The Areopagus Script: lessons from mom

Sunday, May 07, 2006

lessons from mom

Another busy Sunday has ended. After preaching for two morning worship services, teaching our Seeker’s class, attending a Fortieth Anniversary Celebration for one of our dear couples, a pre-marriage counseling session, a personal Bible study, and preaching for the evening worship service, I am ready to call it a day. Even when they are packed full from early morning until late at night, Sunday is my favorite day of the week. When the day ends, I am already thinking about next Sunday.

Next Sunday. I have begun the debate with myself about next Sunday morning’s sermon. Will I preach the lesson from the ongoing series on the book of James, or will I change my mind and preach a Mother’s Day sermon. Next Sunday will be the first Mother’s Day in my life (47 years for those who are interested) that I have not either seen my Mom or talked with her on the phone. It will be a difficult Mother’s Day for me, as I know it will be for many of you. We buried mom last Christmas Eve. There has not been a day that has gone by that I have not thought about her. Oh, how I miss her, and I wish I could see her on Mother’s Day. This Mother’s Day I will think about her in a special way. I will remember again the many lessons that she taught me throughout her life. Please allow me to share just three of them with you.

Mom taught me to love the Lord. She and Dad always believed that the Lord (and His Church) must be put first in our lives (Matthew 6:33). She never allowed anything to come between her and the Lord. She taught us this not only by saying it to us, but also by the way she lived. She believed that loving the Lord included loving His Church. It is so disheartening to hear “Christians” who say we should love the Lord, but who do not love the Lord’s church. If we love the Lord, we will love one another (John 13:34). Mom also taught us that if we love the Lord, we would live lives of obedience to Him. How can we say we love the Lord if we refuse to do what He wants us to do (John 14:15)?

Mom taught us to love our loved ones. We didn’t always agree with one another in our family of six, but we always found ways to love one another. A Christian man must love his wife and his children (Ephesians 5:25, 29, 33; 6:4). There are far too many Christians who act with love toward those who are outside of their family, but they act in unloving ways toward those whom they should love the most. It is vitally important for us to show one another how much we love one another in our families, but we must also be willing to say those meaningful three words, I love you!

Mom taught us to love life. My mother suffered a great deal in her life. She did not feel well for most of the last twelve years of her life. In spite of that, she never lost her zeal for life. She was convinced that the Lord came to give her the abundant life (John 10:10). She brought joy to our family, to her friends, and to everyone who came to know her. Mom had an infectious laugh. I wish I could hear her tell one more of her long, drawn-out stories, then hear her laugh, whether anyone else did or not.

I am thankful for every lesson that Mom taught us. I will miss her next Sunday, but I will remember her for these lessons and so many more. If your Mom is still around, I hope you will let her know how much she means to you and how thankful you are for the good lessons of life she has taught you. Thanks for listening to my meanderings, now I better get busy on next week’s sermons!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brother, no wonder your throat is raspy this morning. I loved the references to your mom. It made me think many of the same thoughts, and relive some great memories. I love you!

10:01 AM  
Blogger Dale's Spot said...

Jeff - thanks. That was great. I too have been struggling what to preach Sunday - I'm thinking of making a chocolate pie - could be interesting. I'm enjoying the blog. LOve, dale

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Rules from the Areopagites