The Areopagus Script: Amazing Grace

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Amazing Grace

I was taught the grace of God growing up. I believe I was taught accurately the grace of God. But now, as it has become fashionable to teach, I am told that I was not taught the grace of God accurately. By using an analogy, let’s see if I understand grace correctly.

Bob was married to Jan and together, they had a couple of children. Nothing out of the ordinary. What was extraordinary about their situation was that Jan’s father was the world’s richest and most powerful man. He had unfathomable wealth. He owned more than 100 companies. In wealth and power, he had no equal. Bob had never participated in that power and wealth.

One day the wealthy and powerful man approached Bob, and proposed a business opportunity. He offered to make Bob the CEO of Banter, the largest company he owned. He was offering Bob a powerful, prestigious, and lucrative position in a powerful, prestigious, and lucrative company. He told Bob that the executive position, and the company itself, would be his if Bob could make some changes.

“Bob, I really like you. I want you to succeed, and I want to share my riches with you and your family. But, Bob, right now you’re not the kind of person I want to do business with. You’re priorities aren’t straight. You’re perspective is self centered. You are not a good father to my grandchildren, you are not faithful to my daughter and your struggles with gambling and drinking make you an undesirable business partner. But, if you can change your life, and become the husband and father that you should, if you can treat people with respect and compassion, and if you can focus a little more on others, you could become the next CEO of Banter.”

Two years later, at a press conference, called to announce the new CEO of Banter, the first question, and the most obvious, was asked of Bob. “How did you, a person of relative obscurity become the CEO of Banter?” Bob’s answer to that question would tell everyone all they needed to know about Bob and his understanding.

Would Bob tell them that he became CEO because he quit cheating on his wife? Because he began spending more quality time with his children? Because he had quit gambling? Because he had quit drinking? Because he had changed his life?

Would Bob tell them that he became CEO because of the power and generosity of his father-in-law? Wouldn’t it be true? Wouldn’t it all be true? If Bob were married to my daughter and made the same life changes, would he be CEO of Banter?

I think I understand God’s grace. And I think I understand what my response to God’s grace should be and must be.

God’s grace is amazing, and we must never lose sight of the truth of his generosity, the truth of our need to respond, and the privilege it is for God to call us His child.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just want to be the first to say: genius analogy!

10:19 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Great article! Keep up the good work.

10:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed that.. Looking forward to the next one!

5:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post. Am refering everyone to it. Thanks again for a great blog.

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mike,

You are correct in saying that grace is not obtained through human effort. Without a doubt, it is a gift from God...a gift that we do not deserve.

That being said, there are things that God requires of US before He will GIVE us that gift. For example, we must BELIEVE that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Faith is not something that just happens. It is something that takes effort on our part (like all other commandments from God).

Obeying the Lord's commandments doesn't ENTITLE us to salvation. Salvation is simply the GIFT that the Lord gives us WHEN we obey His commandments.

The analogy is excellent. If we will only obey the Lord's commandments then He will give us the gift that He promises to all who do so...eternal life.

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Rules from the Areopagites