The Areopagus Script: The Best Translation

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The Best Translation

Sometimes, whether writing for a blog, a periodical, a magazine or any venue that expects regular input, I find myself always thinking about what to say. There are things that I really want to write about, whether the articles ever get published or not. There are things that need to be written, whether anyone ever reads it or not. This creates a process where I become absorbed with what I “need”, or “want”, to say.

Sometimes I need to just listen, and hear what others have to say, and on occasion share what I’ve heard with others.

Such is the case with this article. This thought didn’t originate with me. I heard my father-in-law, Jim Cox, mention this point, almost as an aside, in a sermon this past Lord’s day. I think it is certainly worth sharing.

Over the last few years, I have become very interested in the Greek New Testament, and all the trappings that go with the question of how we got our English Bible.

I have been asked on numerous occasions my opinion on the “best” translation. I have researched, to some extent, many of the current versions and paraphrased versions, the old English Bibles that pre-date the King James Version, the Vulgate, the Septuagint, the two Greek texts that English versions are based on, and the five manuscripts that generated the two Greek texts. I have come to the conclusion that no single translation is the “best”. All have strengths and flaws, and all have their biases.

It is no coincidence that my recent passion has exposed me to the brilliance of Hugo McCord on the topic of Biblical language.

My answer to the question of “best” translation, prior to Sunday, would have been a combination of several versions, particularly the NKJV, NASB, RSV and NIV. Additionally, I use McCord’s Translation of the Everlasting Gospel. If I find agreement among three of these, I assume accurate translation. When questions arise, I go back to the Greek and stumble through, as best I can, before I ask others for opinions and search commentaries. That, I believed, was the best translation.

But, Sunday night, the question was put to me, and all in attendance…..

Wouldn’t the best translation of the Bible be the translation we make from page to life? From hearer to doer? Isn’t that the only translation to which many of our friends and neighbors will ever be exposed?

The “best” translation of the Bible? When the Bible is translated into the life of one of its readers. When the revelation of Jesus, the incarnate Word of God, is revealed in our daily lives. When others see Jesus in us.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this. I think that we should all come to this realisation. It is fundamental.

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with your assessment and when I discussed it with others, they raised the same concerns as Steve did. I explained to them that you still have to use the versions that are considered to be accurate translations and not use just any version available. I know this was implied. On another note, I have been unable to find anyone that sells copies of McCord’s Translation of the Everlasting Gospel. Using Altavista, I got 117 hits that refer to it. Google only comes up with 8 hits. (I'm not overly fond of Google, but I use it for contrast.) Not a single one is for a bookseller. Where can I purchase a copy? It appears to be a popular NT version for reference and study and is high in the ratings for accurate translation.

5:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for you words, Scott. I've heard a good friend say, the more translations that we have, the better off we are as Christians. I have about 13 different translations in my library. Yes, there is no perfect one. But there certainly are ones that are completely ridiculous like The Message.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

The important thing is to remember that translations are faulty, some more than others. We should investigate everything we read.

I like the NASB, ESV, and the NKJV. I wish there was a text with all three of these wrapped up into one.

8:09 PM  
Blogger Mark Wylie said...

Very wise,Uncle of mine. Write more stuff like this. You, Jim, and I are in complete agreement--is that possible!?! ;-)

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Rules from the Areopagites