The Areopagus Script: An Offering of Thanks

Friday, November 24, 2006

An Offering of Thanks

Yesterday, families and friends gathered in homes all over the country to among other things, eat, watch football, and hopefully, to offer thanks for the many blessings we receive from God.

In weeks prior to this national celebration of thanksgiving, we have heard numerous comments and lessons, and read many articles, on being thankful. We have been prompted to count our blessings, to name them one by one. We have been encouraged to acknowledge that all blessings come from God, and to express our gratitude for those blessings.

My point, this morning, is to reflect on the things that we counted, and the things for which we are grateful. I would suspect it would be easy, and time consuming, to list, and give thanks for, all the ways God has blessed our lives. In searching for things that God has done to improve my life, I would not have to look far. My parents, both of whom, my faith tells me, have gone to a better place. My wife, who helps me in so many ways, is a great blessing. My children, my friends, my ancestors, both spiritually and physically, my extended physical family, and all those in my spiritual family that encourage and sustain me from day to day, have improved my life in ways that I cannot fully grasp. I am blessed, and my reasons to be grateful are many. But there is more.

James writes, in Chapter 1, that we are to "consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be complete, not lacking anything."

In this reading, I understand that without trials, I am not complete. I am lacking. God knows that I am lacking, and has blessed me with trials to complete me, and to improve me. Am I thankful for that? Do I consider trials as blessings?

Paul says it this way; "...we rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom He has given us". (Romans 5:3-5)

In my accounting of all the things that God has provided for the improvement of my life, I must include suffering. I must be thankful that God loves me enough to help complete me, to ensure that I lack in nothing.

I believe this is a perspective worth considering and cultivating in all our lives.

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ." (Ephesians 1:3)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As gold that is purified by fire, our faith is made whole by trials. 1 Peter 1:7 What an awesome blessing! A blessing, a blessing from the Lord! God be praised!

12:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

much to think on. great post

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Rules from the Areopagites